Wednesday, November 7, 2007

**Structure Fire-City Assist**


I initially only caught the end of the dispatch because my pager was upstairs, but enroute to the station, I found out there was a structure fire in the city. The reason the city couldn't respond is because they were already on a structure fire. Anyhow, I run upstairs to get my pager, then jump in the truck to head to the station. Once I get there (just as I always do), I hop out my truck, and run to get my gear. Well, apparently that was a bad idea because the floor got waxed, and I was totally unaware of it. At a seconds notice, I became victim to a slip and fall hazard! But I wasn't the only one. Another guy came in the side door, rounded around the staircase and his neck found the floor in an instant. I guess I couldn't class myself as a slip and fall, since I didn't fall. I did about a 10 foot slip into our Squad and had to make a split second decision. Either my head goes through the drivers side rear door window, or I do what any other normal persons reaction would be and throw my arm up to absorb the impact. Well, I threw my arm up, but unfortunately for the Squad, I had my keys in my hand still and put a huge gouge into the paint on the rear door. As I was entering the door, I was in the process of putting them in my pocket just as the slip occured. Well, needless to say my lower back is sore from the agressive, but sudden movement I did, and you can see a two inch scratch down to the bare metal on the poor Squad. As far as the structure fire, we were cancelled about 10 blocks away. After we got back to station, I further investigated my damage and felt real bad. Even at an age of 28, I still get caught up in the excitement and act before I think. Sad thing is, I usually don't rush around all crazy like that. But I knew I was late leaving the house, and once I heard "multiple calls were made confirming a fire," I took off like a bat outta hell! I guess the lessen learned in this story is SLOW IT DOWN! Don't be a statistic, get there safe, and healthy!

1 comment:

wartimefirefighter said...

Hope ya have been well.. glad to hear ya didn't end up a stat. My best to you sir...

-Damien